Thursday 29 December 2016

Coupe Radiator

I investigated the 300CE coolant issue, I saw that it dropped in the expansion tank by about 1/4 each time I was driving.   I checked over the expansion tank it was the original, so I ordered a replacement tank, now not everyone agrees with this but I will use non Mercedes parts for some work on my cars.  In this instance the expansion tank I bought was fine, it was exactly the same and was easy to swap out.  When I removed the old tank the braided hose from the expansion overflow to the overflow bottle in the wing had perished and split, so I replaced this with a length of automotive grade rubber tubing.  Sourcing the braided original hose was just too difficult or expensive.

Next I moved onto the radiator itself, a little look over it showed it was tired, fins were bent and there was years of debris stuck in the front. It was clear this should be replaced as good measure.  I used an OE radiator from BEHR, the replacement process is straightforward enough, you need to purchase the drain plug and correct coolant as this is very important.

Replacement is a few clips and the connectors for the automatic transmission, take care not to bend these or get any dirt inside the pipes, that would not be good for the transmission.

Once replaced and the coolant added, I started the car and allowed any air to burp out the radiator cap, topped up and took a drive.  On return the level in the expansion tank was the same, no loss of fluids, the temperature of the car was normal on idle.

No comments:

Post a Comment